Sunday, February 28, 2016

Progress Report: 2/28/16

This week I focused on trying to fix some of the unexpected behavior in the drone's flight path, given a marker in frame to follow. It still doesn't work 100% accurately, but I did have some ideas while tweaking the image processing programs:

  • The environment in which I tested did result in a lot of unwanted noise. To help counter this inevitability, I want to start introducing the tracking of two different colors, and use a marker that contains more than a single identifying color. I have tested this possibility and linked a picture as a proof-of-concept below, which is a screen shot of the output I got while trying 2-color detection at home.
  • I removed erosion from the algorithm, which was slower than it was worth.
  • I added in a function which marks all blobs that the drone finds within the frame. I noticed that the drone actually seems to skip over certain candidates for the marker sometimes. I think this may be an important part of the problem.
  • The distance from the drone to the marker cannot be too large, or the resulting representation in the video appears insignificant. Therefore, it will probably be necessary to use floor markers in between junctions, perhaps using the bottom camera and a separate color + color detection algorithm.
  • Rethinking our whole approach, it may be better to keep all markers on the floor, with, for example, blue circles connected by red lines. It seems kind of rediculous to rethink the approach now, but I think this new method has potential to be better...

Detecting 2 Colors

No comments:

Post a Comment